With an email arriving to users in these hours, Sony has officially confirmed the closure of the digital stores of PS3, PSP and PS Vitawhich will materialize in the course of the summer.
In the released note, here are all the details not only on the closure but also on the management of content already purchased by users.
We will close the PlayStation Store on PlayStation 3 on July 2, 2021 and on PlayStation Vita devices on August 27, 2021. Additionally, the remaining purchase features on PSP will also be discontinued on July 2, 2021. After careful consideration, we have decided to make these changes to focus our resources on PlayStation Store for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5, which will allow us to further enhance the customer experience. We thank you for your support on these platforms through the years.
What will change for you?
You will no longer be able to purchase PS3, PS Vita and PSP digital content, games and video content included.
You will also no longer be able to make game purchases through titles on PS3, PS Vita and PSP.
Although the PSP store was already closed in 2016, the remaining PSP shopping functions (for example, game purchases) will now be completely discontinued.
What about the content you already own?
• You will still be able to download content you already own on PS3, PS Vita and PSP, including games and video content.
• You can download the content you own on your PS3, PS Vita or PSP by going to the Downloaded Content section on your device.
• If you have purchased a PS3 / PS Vita cross-buy package and downloaded only the PS3 or PS Vita version, you will need to download the other version before the PlayStation Store closes on the affected device.
• Your video content can be streamed to PS3, PS4 or PS5 via the ‘My Videos’ app or to mobile devices via the PlayStation Video app.
• As long as you are a subscriber to the service, you will be able to re-download and play games you have obtained via PlayStation Plus.
What about vouchers, wallet balance and cross-buy content?
• You will still be able to redeem PlayStation Plus and game vouchers on PS3, PS Vita and PSP devices once the PlayStation ™ Store is closed and purchasing features for these platforms have been discontinued.
• You will no longer be able to redeem vouchers for PSN wallet funds (for example, gift cards) on PS3, PS Vita and PSP devices once PlayStation Store has closed and purchase features for these platforms have been terminated.
• Your wallet funds will remain on your PSN account, but you will only be able to use wallet funds to purchase PS4 and PS5 products via the PlayStation Store on the website, PlayStation App or PS4 and PS5 consoles.
• You will still be able to purchase cross-buy content via the PlayStation Store on the website, PlayStation App or PS4 and PS5 consoles and access both the PS4 and PS3, PS Vita and PSP versions.
Thanks for reading!